|PSN "nearly even" with Xbox Live on multiplatform releases|
|Posted: 09.02.2011 12:50 by Simon Priest||Comments: 4|
The Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment group (FADE), reports that the PlayStation Network has "seen significant growth" recently.
They say 2nd half of the year growth on PSN was 40%, "greatly outpacing" Xbox Live's 18%. It's "nearly even" with XBLA sales on simultaneous releases.
"After a rough start in the digital market, with most major titles debuting on Xbox Live Arcade first, Sony's digital platform has seen significant growth, especially among multi-platform titles," reads FADE's press release.
"FADE estimates that year-over-year growth during the 2nd half of the year was 40%, greatly outpacing Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade 18% increase. PSN finished the year on a high note, with an estimated $9.3 million USD in revenues in December alone."
Ubi's 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World' was a timed exclusive for PSN and became their best selling title for 2010's second half with 190k sold. The Behemoth's 'Castle Crashers' was the top-grossing title as it earned $2.1 million from 143k sold.
PSN is catching up with Xbox Live when it comes to multiplatform digital releases.
"In 2009, Microsoft enjoyed a 2:1 sales advantage for multi-platform titles launching simultaneously," said FADE's Benjamin Schlichter.
"Today, that advantage is nearly even with first-month typical sales being 55/45 among new titles like 'Costume Quest', 'Pac-Man CE DX', and 'X-Men Arcade'." Below are the top ten selling titles via the PlayStation Store from July to December 2010.
1. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Ubisoft) - 190,000 Units
2. Castle Crashers (The Behemoth) - 143,000 Units
3. ZEN Pinball (Zen Studios) - 127,000 Units
4. Dead Nation (Housemarque) - 122,000 Units
5. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (SEGA) - 113,000 Units
6. Critter Crunch (Capybara Games) - 100,000 Units
7. Blacklight: Tango Down (Ignition Entertainment) - 97,000 Units
8. DeathSpank (Hothead Games) - 97,000 Units
9. Pac-Man CE DX (Namco Bandai) - 96,000 Units
10. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (Telltale Games) - 80,000 Units