|New info about upcoming Bad Company 2 PC patch|
|Posted: 20.09.2011 06:06 by JonahFalcon||Comments: 5|
EA has released information about the upcoming patch for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which has been confirmed for release on 21st September.
The patch will improve stability and bug issues. The patch will not, however, tweak or improve gameplay balancing. This update is strictly to fix nagging problems such as memory leaks and game crashes. The update also removes SecuROM from the non-Steam version.
The patch itself is approximately 2.6GB, but also includes all of the previous patches for the game, so new players won't have to download a ton of different updates to get the game updated.
Bethesda does warn some PC users that the patch may not react well with gamers who enjoy using non-alphabet characters in their username. The FAQ states: "If your Windows username contains non-English characters (such as ö, ý, etc) then PunkBuster will not activate properly. To work around this, ensure that your Windows username uses only characters from the English character set. In other words, "7-bit ASCII only, please". We caught this at the very end of the validation pass, and decided that it was better to deliver the build to the public than to give it another tour through the whole patch generation and validation process."
Steam users will find that their copy will auto-update around 4AM UTC, while non-Steam users can use the auto-updater. Players can get the Client R11 auto-updater .
The patch does the following fixes and updates:
* Removed some memory leaks
* Fixed crashes when the game attempted to render lots of content (high detail, high FOV or multiple-monitor modes); this should particularly help multi-monitor users
* Chat window no longer causes lag spikes
* Chat window reworked opacity & visibility-time is controllable through settings in settings.ini
* Clantag is remembered when using auto-login
* Banner URLs can be up to 252 characters in length
* SecuROM wrapper removed from non-Steam version
* Minor performance enhancements
* Reduced rubberbanding on servers with more than 24 active players