|Maxis delay SimCity on Mac until August, detail Update 5.0 changes|
|Posted: 07.06.2013 11:17 by Simon Priest||Comments: 2|
The planned June 11th release for SimCity on Mac has been scrapped as EA Maxis announce it has been delayed until August, as senior producer Kip Katsarelis and team "do not believe it is ready for primetime yet."
Currently they are working on Update 5 for the PC version, which focuses more on improvements to "multiplayer and multi-city play". The team are adjusting how gifting and services function between cities.
A major problem at the moment is the 'Out of Money' bug that is plaguing cities as residents can't seem to earn a decent living; it's tied to Sims getting 'lost' when commuting.
As a bit of an apology, Maxis are going to "extend the availability" of the SimCity Launch Park which was introduced with Update 4 as a 'thank you' for early adopters of the new SimCity. It's a park that features 'Server 1' as a bank of sparking servers catching fire, poking fun at the game's disastrous launch, as well as hot air balloons launching over the city.
The Mac version would have released early next week, but now is months away. "We have made this tough decision because we do not believe it is ready for primetime yet. We want to ensure the Mac is a great experience for our players and that is why we are taking more time," Kip Katsarelis.
Most interesting to the Mayor community is the tease for Update 6 which "will focus on RCI improvements, a lot of which we’ve gathered from fan feedback on our forums." The way in which SimCity handles RCI has been a major point of contention with fans of the series.
As for now, Maxis has released the planned changelog for :
• New: Historic Price charts for Global Market resources are available from the SimCity World button on the main menu.
• New: The Region Wall chat has been completely updated with a new look and new functionality! Chat functions more efficiently and it’s much easier to communicate with other players. Time stamps show on chat messages on rollover. Regional events are easier to read and can be toggled on and off.
• New: Added a filter for friends’ regions in the join region section.
• New: Trading control. Added feature to give players more control over their utilities. Players can now choose whether or not to keep their power, water, or sewage local. This setting can be found on the information panel accessible by clicking on the power plant, water tower, or sewage pipe or plant. Sharing with the region is on by default.
• New: Regional Missions: Added seven new regional missions: Drink It Up!, Plug In, So Stoked, The Wheels on the Bus, Ferry Dust, Station to Station, and Riding Coach.
• New: Regional Achievement: Added a new regional achievement, Field Trip!
• Gifting Improvements: Cash gifts are now delivered electronically, not by truck. This should improve the efficiency of gifting.
• Resource gifts: Resource gifts will happen more reliably. Multiple trucks can make deliveries at once if they are available in the sending city and the truck capacities have been increased.
• Great Works Improvements: Delivery trucks will mark their resources as dropped off as soon as they reach the Great Works, instead of when they arrive back in the city. This will make tracking time more reliable.
• Great Works Improvements: Update to have all resources at Great Works handled at the regional level. This will address players in different cities seeing different resources once the server has processed the region and cities.
• Great Works Improvements: Fixed an issue where an Arcology would maintain power from the region and fixed an issue where shoppers would not increase at the Arcology as it was leveled up. This will update in both existing and new Arcologies.
• Great Works Improvements: Tuned the Solar Farm.
• Regional Unlocks: The advanced coal mine unlocks regionally. Fixed issue where the Trade HQ sometimes did not unlock.
• Fire Advisor Trading clarity: Tuned the Fire advisor so they do not tell you that neighbors are sending fire trucks when your neighbor has no fire stations.
• Trading: School buses that travel from a neighbor’s city will show that city’s avatar.
• Regional Commuting: Fixed an issue where Sims would not be able to take transit out of cities with lots of streetcars or shuttle buses. This could cause some cases where commuting Sims could not return home and their homes would go abandoned.
• Garbage Trucks and Recycling Trucks: Fixed an issue that some cities experienced where garbage and recycling trucks do not leave their buildings or disappeared when trading service with neighbors. Existing cities who have trucks that have disappeared will have to demolish their missing trucks’ garages and plop new garages.
• Text Clarification: The “Out of Money” message now says “Can’t find work” when appropriate in rollover feedback and the approval rating UI. This is to clarify your Sims’ actual need.