|Xbox One to feature community-wide challenges|
|Posted: 15.06.2013 15:25 by JonahFalcon||Comments: 4|
Microsoft has announced that the Xbox One would feature community challenges, much like those found in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer weekends, not only giving players who help finish it special Achievements, but rewards too.
According to Major Nelson's :
* You can unlock them and win their rewards.
* Once unlocked, they are saved to your achievement history.
* They each have an icon to visualize the cool thing you did.
* They often are associated with a Game DVR capture to show your friends that you are better than they are.
* Developers can release more of them after the game's initial release.
If that weren't enough, some challenges can span multiple games. "Imagine, for example, a game releases a headshot weekend challenge that requires players to cumulatively headshot 1 million baddies in a three-day period," Xbox Live Achievement manager Cierra McDonald described, "And every person who participates and meets the challenge's goals gets the unlock on his or her achievement history and reaps its reward."
In fact, thanks to the cloud, developers will be able to adjust challenges on the fly after a game has been released.
McDonald noted, "For example, let's say a certain game is known on community forums to have a fun little sub-game of kicking chickens. Wouldn't it be amazing if the game developers noticed the community enjoying an unintended aspect of the game and creating a challenge around it, with a reward to boot?"