|Uber Entertainment release latest beta update for Planetary Annihilation|
|Posted: 10.10.2013 10:23 by Simon Priest||Comments: 9|
The alpha-turned-beta of Planetary Annihilation is receiving another significant update today as Uber Entertainment sprinkle in AI optimizations, tweaks to game loading and building placement.
The naval units have gotten passes on balance too. The AI is certainly benefitting as they favour a lot more defences and their advanced fabricators. Planet sizes capped.
It's no small order letting us power-hungry gamers fling asteroids at each other and conquer star system by star system, but Uber seems determined to realise our dreams.
Here's the :
• A lot more back end work for stability, performance and overall game experience. There is at least one known server crash related to moving units through the celestial/deep space. We're still looking for a 100% repro, however If you find something you're doing crashes your server every time, please let us know on the forums!
• We have changed how games load - as soon as a lobby is hosted, the game server starts preparing the planet, both on the server and locally. If you notice "Connect to server" taking a little while, be patient. When you get into the lobby, you should see a status light on the solar system info that changes from red to yellow to green. Once it's green, if everyone is ready, you should see the game start very quickly.
• Significant changes to building placement code ; you should see fewer false positives on placement, as well as more accurate information when getting invalid/red placement warnings
• Confirmation buttons exist now for: Leave a game lobby, leave a live game, quit the program
• Default game type switched back to FFA from Vs. AI
• Changes to lobby layout
• Max planet sizes are now clamped to 1200 for gameplay ; you can make bigger planets, but we need more work before we can unlock play on larger planets
• Start zone sizing should now be accuratley represented
• Ongoing work on the pathing
• AIs build defenses more
• AIs now will update their rally points for units being generated
• AI should make better use of advanced fabbers again and also build many more advanced factories again
• AI can now build defenses in expansion bases
• AI can now build advanced mexes on existing basic mexes
• Balance Changes:◦WIP: Fairly significant changes to naval; this is still very in progress, and only basic units have really been modified yet. Advanced will get a pass next. Too many changes to list individually.
◦ Radar and Advanced Radar can now be built on water
◦ Radar and Advanced Radar require your energy to be at least 90% efficient to operate (If you have 10k power and are using more than approximately 11,000 power, you will stall your radar)
◦ Missile ship's range has been decreased to be more inline with normal tactical missile launcher; Missile ship now also charges more slowly than before. Fire time is still 10 seconds, but if you're running a deficit energy economy, it will slow down your rate of fire.
◦ Tactical Missile Launcher has the same limits as the Missile Ship - stalled energy economy will have more of an impact on it's ability to fire
◦ Ion Defense Cannon: Changes to help make it more accurate (more work is still needed); This unit is NOT designed to take out orbital fighters.