|'Mafia 2' should mob the PC weeks, even months after the consoles|
|Posted: 07.04.2008 13:39 by Jamie Davey||Comments: 2|
A new list of features for Mafia 2 has hit the net with some very interesting confirmations and a few nice surprises.
This sequel carries no story connectivity the first and is holed up in Empire City, which is twice the size of Mafia's Lost Heaven urban scrawl. Cash for new threads, fancy dining and to cover that car wash fee.
The feature list below is courtesy of the guys over at .
- Two main heroes with completely different characters: although you'll only be able to play as Vito, the other (named Joe) will play an important part in the story, not being limited to a supporting role.
- Not a direct sequel / no story connectivity; in fact, you won't have to know the first game.
- Extensive car damage, with physical destruction model supposedly even more detailed and prettier than the one from the acclaimed Burnout Paradise (according to the journalists at press presentation) with damaged car body, broken glass or exploding gas tanks.
- Not only you'll have to stop at gas stations for refueling your car, but you'll also be able to undergo a car wash and hence get rid of all the dust that your car has been picking.
- Money important for shopping (new clothes to get rid of pursuers) or visiting restaurants, which is where you'll have your hero strengthen up a bit by eating some (similar as in GTA San Andreas).
- Pastel colors and an art style at times reminding of BioShock.
- Confirmed the presence of Gears of War-like cover system, as suggested by recent screenshot.
- Story beginning shortly before the end of the World War II, which is when Vito comes back from war duty at Europe.
- Set in a fictional American city Empire City with size around 10 km2 (about twice as big as built-up area in original Lost Heaven city from the first Mafia) with tens of unique quarters, inspired mostly by San Francisco.
- Lead platforms X360/PS3, while the PC version should launch supposedly weeks or months afterwards, although this too could change depending on the current state of the gaming market.
- Release date still wasn't specified, but the journalists are expecting the game to ship in late spring/summer 2009.
Interesting stuff, the original was quite a surprise hit and achieved an intriguing and thrilling story of one made-mans struggle to survive the mob wars and turn states evidence.
Click to visit the official Mafia 2 website.