THE LORD OF THE RINGS: TOTAL WAR
Public Beta version 1.0c
This is a modification of ROME: TOTAL WAR into THE LORD OF THE RINGS: TOTAL WAR based on the The Lord of The Rings movie trilogy by Peter Jackson (New Line Cinema).
If you have mistakenly downloaded this modification and expecting accuracy to the books, please direct your attention towards these 2 excellent mods instead:
Middle-earth: Total War (www.metw.net)
Fourth Age: Total War (www.fourthage.net)
This modification is not affiliated with the two stated above and they cannot be held responsible for anything showcased in this mod.
This modification is fan-made and for non-profit and may only be distributed free of charge.
Join the discussion of this mod at the official forum:
Check this thread for updates on files and hotfixes:
Please pardon my unprofessional work, as I am anything but a professional in the field of game development and I have only started using 3D Studio Max in May of 2005, just for the sole purpose of modding this game.
I hope you will have as much as fun playing as I did making this mod :)
1. Game Notes
3. Known Issues
4. Incomplete Items
5. Fixes and changes
1. Game Notes:
- This release is public beta version 1.0c. It is quite possible there are still some bugs and issues that has yet to be resolved. Most factions have not been extensively tested and balanced, which is the whole point of this mod's release. If you would like to help with the testing, we would appreciate your input and feedback at our official forum (hosted by www.rometotalrealism.org) at
- The movie that plays as background in the main menu has been disabled in the preference file. It is recommended you keep this particular setting.
- Attacks have been toned down a lot and defense have been upped. This would cause longer battles and routing units may regroup faster than in vanilla RTW.
- Ground speed modifier is modded to make units move slower.
- Siege weapons now take a long time to break through walls and gate houses because I've weakened their damage against buildings. However, rams now cannot be burned so most likely they will break through the gate easier but would take massive casualty from boiling oil which I couldn't remove as of yet. Towers and siege towers arrow attacks have been modded out so your only defense against ladders and siege towers are your troops (and the goddamn gatehouse).
- Most horses use normal speed (normal horse skeleton) except some light horses, as to not overpower them.
- Factions are still missing some units, especially general units, as only Gondor, Rohan, Elves and Isengard have them.
- Using Army of the Dead is considered cheating.
- To install The Lord of the Rings: Total War, you will need a fresh copy of Rome Total War patched to 1.2. DO NOT use Barbarian Invasion, patch 1.3 or earlier versions as this mod will NOT work properly. Installing this mod over other modified copies of Rome Total War is NOT reccomended.
- Do not install this mod over your only copy of Rome Total War as there is no uninstaller. It is reccommended that you make a copy of RTW folder and install this mod on that copy instead.
- Once you started the game, you should adjust video and audio settings in OPTIONS, as the preference file installed may not be best suited for your computer's configuration.
- If the music and sound effects are still unchanged (using original RTW's music and sounds), you will need to find this file called "events.dat" inside Data/sounds folder. Delete or remove or rename the file. It is known that the file is an old leftover from earlier versions and is no longer required for the game to run.
3. Known Issues:
- Trolls can climb ladders and siege tower and walls. I don't know how to prevent this.
- Gatehouses still use arrows and boiling oil. No known way to remove this as of yet.
- Oliphaunt's death animation has a one frame glitch, I have yet to iron out this bug and doubtful I could from numerous testings.
- Oliphaunts cannot have officer models so I cannot put the appropriate rider model (the dude with the scary face).
- The description text are not finalized yet, if you have ideas on improving them, please post them at the forum.
- Wargs have some horse sound effects. This is triggered by their skeleton which is a horse's, with custom made new animations. Hopefully a loop-around can be found for this issue.
- Nazgul is not nine in number. There is no known way to keep a number of a unit in all settings. Thus this unit is considered a BONUS UNIT and will not be available in Custom Battles in later releases. They will only be featured in Historical Battles, where their size can be restricted.
4. Incomplete Items:
- This first release does not include a campaign map.
- No Historical Battle or custom maps yet.
- The UI is not modded except for unit cards, unit info cards, captain banners and battlefield advisor pictures. So the faction icons during battle result is still vanilla.
- Catapults and ballistas do not have unit info cards yet. This will be added later.
- The AI is basically basic vanilla AI. I have yet to mod formations and formation AI.
- Siege towers are still the original RTW's. These will be changed later.
- Catapults for Gondor, Easterlings and Elves are not modified yet as they are still using RTW's original models. This will be changed later.
- Heroes are not in yet, although the models for Eomer, Boromir and Elrond are used in-game as captains.
- No unit response sound yet. This will be done later.
- Buildings are yet to be modded.
- No Historical Battle as of yet.
- No individual unit sounds as of yet. This will be added later.
- Custom sprites are not in yet. Right now all units are using RTW's original sprites.
- Rohan Foot Archers are still missing INFO card. This will be fixed later.
5. Fixes and Changes:
- Hotfix for siege battles where the standards of the factions are not yet included in the mod but referred to by the text file. This crashed the game when a stone wall or better is present. The hotfix reverted the text file to RTW's, making the standards into RTW's. This issue will be patched later
- Fixed some wrong numbers for unit stats
- Balanced units and altered some unit names and descriptions
- Fixed a problem with Elnaith's UNIT INFO card not showing and showed black peasant card instead
- Removed Gondor's Ballista as it is pretty useless
- Crossbow animation by GodsPetMonkey
- Description text assistants
- Music by
Howard Shore (The Lord of The Rings Official Soundtrack)
References and Sources:
The Lords of The Rings
by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lords of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
by Chris Smith
The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Perfect Collection (New Line Cinema)
The Lord of the Rings Official Sountracks (New Line Cinema)
Battle for Middle-earth for PC (EA Games)
Encyclopedia of Arda (www.glyphweb.com/arda)
Special thanks to:
- www.rometotalrealism.org for the file hosting and forum
- Heather Chan, for the 3DSMax crash course
- Professor420, Hoggy, HogDog, alin, Sundjata Keita, GodsPetMonkey and the modders of SCC and the org for the lessons, tips and advices
- Middle-earth: Total War dev team
Fourth Age: Total War dev team
for the professional courtesy, and the sharing of LOTR info and resources, and inspiring me to take a leap of faith and started this project
- Vercingetorix for the essential tools, of without which would have made mods virtually impossible to do
- J.R.R Tolkien, for sharing with us the wonders of Middle-earth
- Peter Jackson and the entire LOTR movies cast and staff, for making the definitive trilogy of our generation
- SCC and www.totalwar.org forums, for the support
- LOTR Fatanics Plaza, for helping with elvish translations
- C. Yen, for being there
and last but not least...
the awesome community and testers who gave a ton of great input and effort in testing and balancing this game!! Thanks guys!!