Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Hints, Tips
- Elite mode
- Successfully to complete the game to unlock Elite mode, which starts the game with only the knife and unloaded guns.
- Movie trailer
- Successfully complete the Lighthouse mission in solo mode to unlock a movie trailer.
- If you move around with your gun drawn, the noise meter will not move. This is very useful when sneaking up on someone quickly.
- 100% rating
- In order to get a 100% rating on any mission, you must complete the level with the following statistics. It is unknown at this time if there is a reward for getting a 100% rating on every mission.
Enemies killed: 0
Civilians killed: 0
Bodies found: 0
Times identified as intruder: 0
Alarms sounded: 0
- Keypad codes
- Mission 1: Lighthouse
No keypad locked doors
Mission 2: Cargo Ship
No keypad locked doors
Mission 3: Bank
Keypad to left security booth on first floor: 3624
Keypad to right security booth on first floor: 3624
Keypad to main security room: 2306
Keypad to treasurer's office: 8645
Keypad to bank's back door: 3901
Keypad before president's office: 3490
Keypad to safe in president's office: Code unknown, must be hacked
Mission 4: Penthouse
Keypad To Dvorak Room: 0280
Mission 5: Displace
Keypad to door between meeting room and lobby on second floor: 8136
Keypad to door between meeting room and lobby on first floor: 8136
Keypad to CEO's meeting room: 2346
Keypad to CEO's office: 2609
Keypad to fire escape: 3485
Keypad to central server room: 2109
Keypad to R&D server room: 9205
Mission 6: Hokkaido
No Keypad Locked Doors
Mission 7: Battery
Keypad to shipping area: 1879
Keypad to elevator: Code unknown, must be hacked
Mission 8: Seoul
No keypad locked doors
Mission 9: Bathhouse
Keypad to owner's office: 3650
Mission 10: Kokubo Sosho
Keypad To Server Room: 1945
- Catching Shetland
- Have your sniper zoomed-in on the guard. When there is a fight, shoot, run, and catch Shetland. Then, end the mission.
- Taking lights out silently
- To take out lights silently, first OCP the light, then shoot it.
- Alternate dialogue
- When you see Otomo try to commit suicide, Lambert will radio you and say something. If playing on the normal difficulty setting he will say something similar to "Otomo just tried to commit sepuku. Get in there and revive him". However, if you play the game on the hard difficulty setting, Sam will say something similar to "Looks like someone feels a bit too good about himself." However, all the objectives will remain the same.
- Do not trigger the alarm in Bank
- Normally when you are on the last part of the Bank level and take the $50,000,000 from the cell, you will trigger the alarm when you walk out. There are three ways to avoid this. The first is to eliminate every guard in the bank. When the alarm goes off, no one will come because they are either dead or knocked out. The second way is useful if your trying to get a good rating without sounding alarms. When you take the money, do not walk out. Turn on your heat vision and you can see the laser. Then, turn on your goggles to where you can see the electronics. The laser should be on your left. Use the secondary fire on your pistol to disable it, then quickly run out of the cell. For the third way, make sure there are guards remaining and before you take the money, there is a computer terminal. Open the door and turn on the sprinklers. Wait for them to turn them off and the whole chamber and the path to get into the chamber will be wet all the way to the narrow hallway. Take the money and trigger the alarm. Take out your sticky shockers and wait for the group of men to stand in the puddle. Make sure you are not seen or the guards will run for cover. Then, shock them.
- Invisible laser beam in Bank
- To avoid detection by the invisible laser trip wire in the entrance of the vault, closely examine the entrance with your thermal goggles on. Then, use your OCP to disable the laser emitter and walk out of the vault. By doing this, you can leave without sounding the alarm.
- Finding the bombs in Bathhouse
- After going through the gate when chasing Shetland, the first bomb is directly to the left of the gate that you enter. Go left through a little crevice and you should see a red light flashing. Go to it and disarm it. When you do that, one of Shetland's gaurds will walk up the stairs. Kill him. To get to the second bomb, go up the stairs. Turn left then turn right and look straight ahead. You should see another red flashing light down below the walkway. Hop over the ledge of the railing and disarm the second bomb. When you are done disarming the bomb, jump on to the railing and pull yourself up. Two guards will be to your left, walking on the walkway. They will probably hear you; get ready to kill them. It is fairly difficult to kill them without losing a lot of life, or at least dying. After you kill them, go down the walkway to the back wall. About halfway you will see another red flashing light. Jump across the little gap and disarm it. A guard will come through the back door right when you disarm the bomb. Kill him, then go through the door and meet Shetland. You will then have to make a critical choice; pull the trigger. It would be a good idea to quicksave the game whenever you disarm and kill the guards.
- Alternate Shetland Death in Bathhouse
- At the end of the level, Shetland and Sam will be on top of a roof with their guns pointed at each other. After a short conversation, Shetland will put his gun away and say "You wouldn't shoot an old friend". You are given a choice, shoot or put your gun away. If you shoot, Shetland will stumble backwards and the intermission sequence for the level's ending will play. However if you put your gun away, Shetland will quickly pull his gun out and point it at Sam. Sam will duck his weapon and stab Shetland in the stomach before throwing him. This will then start the same ending sequence.
- Man goes to wrong location in Hokkaido
- When you are at the place where you must scan the license plate, make sure that you first have blown out the candle and destroyed the guard inside. When you go outside you will see a man leaning on the car. Stand beside the car on the left and whistle. If done correctly, he will not come to the place that you have whistled to, but instead he will go inside the hut.
- Alternate way to retrieve the radio data in Lighthouse
- During the mission you will have to overhear some data being said on a radio transmission by a guard. If you fail to do this, you can just find the data in a filing cabinet next to the radio.
- Get rid of the enemy on the top in Lighthouse
- To get rid of the enemy on the top of the lighthouse, hang along the edge of the lighthouse. Get underneath him and select the command "Grab NPC". Sam Fisher will grab and throw him off the edge. From here you can watch him scream and fall to his death.
- Bouncing guard in Penthouse
- On the ground floor after you have knocked out two guards (the one who is repairing the elevator and the other one that is talking to him), put one or more of the guards in the elevator with Sam. Sam must turn on his night vision and press the button to go to the top floor. Watch the guard's body bounce around like popcorn.
- Original Splinter Cell music in Seoul
- When you begin the level, you will be in a kid's room. Immediately exit the room and go to the right. When you reach the end of the hall, in which the walls are blown away, turn to the right and enter a half-destroyed room. There should be a radio inside. Turn it on, and it will play the same music from the cafe from where you started near the Chinese Embassy 2 level on the original Splinter Cell.
- Destroying the tank in Seoul
- In the final area of the second part of the mission, you can rescue the injured pilots as a bonus objective. However, instead of waiting for the lamp to flicker on and off to get past the tank safely, there is an easier way. Make sure you have a frag greanade (obtained elsewhere in the level). Go to the very top of the scaffolding and take out the frag grenade. Aim the grenade to go in the hatch of the tank. If done correctly, the grenade will explode in the tank, which will destroy it.
- See inside Sam's head
- In the final level, go through the second checkpoint. There will be two guards talking in a room; one behind a desk and the other in front. Once you go through the two sheets used as a door, to your left will be a bench. Jump on it. Then, stand up so that you are not crouching and move the camera behind you. You will then be able to see inside of Sam's head.
- Bill Gates reference in Hokkaido
- There are two guards talking about their new vehicle. During the conversation, one says that it has a 640 gig MP3 player, "standard." The other replies that no one will ever need 640 gigs. This is a jab at a comment made by Bill Gates back in 1981 about no one ever needing more than 640 K of RAM.
- Metal Gear Solid reference in I-SDF Base
- When you get to the lower floors in the I-SDF base, interrogate a guard. Sam will ask him about his LTL (less-than-lethal) weapon. The guard will tell Sam that the ammunition is some kind of electric round. Sam asks where he can find some. To this the guard replies: "It's not like you can shake me, and make my ammo drop on the floor". This is a reference to the Metal Gear Solid games, in which you can do just that.