Resident Evil 4 Hints, Tips
- Glitch: Unlimited fish
- Before fighting Del Lago, kill all fish in the lake. Pick them up and save the game in the nearby shack. Reload your saved game without turning off the PlayStation2. Go to the lake and you will see that all the fish are back. Repeat this as many times as desired.
- Completion bonuses
- Successfully complete the game to unlock the Separate Ways and Mercenaries mini-games; the Professional difficulty setting; Leon's Raccoon City Police Department costume, Ashley's pop star costume, and Ada's black costume; the Mathilda handgun and Infinite Rocket Launcher for purchase (for 1 million Pesetas), and the Tactical Vest (for 60,000 Pesetas); and an alternate title screen. After completing the game the first time, start a new game, then press Start and select "Load Game". Choose the file that is marked "Clear". Once you choose that file, you will be taken to a menu where you can buy the Matilda Handgun or the Infinite Rocket Launcher. Once you start the game, all of your items from your previous game will be in your item box.
Successfully complete the Separate Ways mini-game to unlock Ashley's knight costume and Leon's gangster costume. Ashley's suit of armor is bullet and damage proof. She cannot get hurt by anything and it is so heavy she cannot be carried away. You do not have to worry about giving her First Aid Sprays, Herbs, or shooting Ganados trying to pick her up.
Successfully complete the game in Professional mode. The merchant will give you a PRL 412 laser cannon when you start Round 2 of Professional mode.
- Chicago Typewriter
- Successfully complete the Separate Ways mini-game to unlock the Chicago Typewriter (Tommy gun with infinite ammunition) for purchase (for 1 million Pesetas).
- Get a five star rank with all mercenaries in the Mercenaries mini-game to unlock the HandCannon weapon. To get unlimited ammunition for it, fully upgrade all of the HandCannon's options. Alternately, successfully complete the game two times. The HandCannon will be available as soon as you start the game again for 0 Pesetas. It is a very powerful magnum, and will have unlimited ammunition. When you go to upgrade it in the merchant window, in the "HandCannon" update screen there is an option labeled "Exclusive". When chosen, the gun is upgraded with power identical to the Chicago Typewriter.
- Destroy at least ten of the fifteen blue medallions (there are seven in the farm and eight in the cemetery) to get a free Punisher from the Merchant two guns before you can buy it. This pistol hits two targets when you get it and five when you get exclusive.
- Bonus characters in Mercenaries mini-game
- Get a four star rank in the following areas to unlock the corresponding character in the Mercenaries mini-game:
Ada Wong: Pueblo
Albert Wesker: Waterworld
Hunk: Island Commando Base
Jack Krauser: Castle
- Mercenaries mini-game tips
- The main monsters to look out for are the two chainsaw ladies on stage 1. Once you kill them, they keep coming back. On stage 2 and 3 be careful of the guys with the chain guns. On stage 4, there is a super chainsaw man. He is bigger than the normal one and has a twin bladed saw. He is almost impossible to stop. He does not climb ladders. He jumps to where he needs to be. He will run at you, swinging the saw. Do not run past him. Turn and jump down if you can, or climb something quickly. If you really want to get past him, try using Jack Krauser's transformation, and aim right at him. If you miss, you are dead. Additionally, Krauser's transformation will kill anyone in one hit as long as you are close enough. Also Flash Bang, Kick are very good for crowds with Krauser. These two things will make Krauser the easiest to get five stars with.
- Easy completion in Mercenaries mini-game in Village
- Go to the top of the barn (located next to the house where you found the shotgun in the main game). There is also a timer under the ladder, and a chest above, and up the ladder. Go up there and wait for the Los Illuminados to come to you. When they are mostly packed in, shoot the barrel inside and jump down quickly. Get what they dropped. Get back up the ladder and repeat. Note: Do not throw a grenade while there is a flame barrel down there; it will not do twice the damage. Also, be careful of the Chainsaw Hags that appear. They will cut off your head if you get too close. It is best if you are Hunk or Krauser to use the neck break; and the transformation of Krauser's arm, which kills them in one hit. With Ada or Wesker, use their sniper rifles until they are both gone, then jump down, With Leon try grenades, but it is very difficult.
- Easy completion of Professional mode
- The best way to complete the game in Professional mode is to first complete the Separate Ways mini-game. You will unlock Ashley's knight costume and Leon's gangster costume. Selecting Ashley's knight costume makes Professional mode a lot easier. Ashley cannot be injured or carried away. Use her for bait when needed. At least half the enemies will go directly for her, giving you time to kill them and keep your distance from a crowd. This also works well on El Gigante.
- Control title screen
- At the title screen, press the Right Analog-stick to move the background. Press R1 to zoom in or L1 to zoom out.
- Game trailers
- Remain idle at the title screen. Eventually two trailers will begin playing and begin to cycle.
- Extra scene
- When Leon is being choked by Chief Mendez, he will be told that he has the same blood. Leave the room, then return. You will be choked again by Chief Mendez, only this time Ada will come to the rescue.
- Extra ammunition
- Wait until you are low on ammunition before upgrading a gun. The replacement gun will always have a full clip, giving you extra bullets that otherwise may be difficult to find.
- Easy money
- Once you gain access to the tunnel with the merchant beyond Pueblo, return to the farm area and wait for the chickens there to lay eggs. Exit and re-enter to begin the same process over again. After you fill your inventory, you can return to the nearby merchant to sell your eggs. White chicken eggs sell for 300 Pesetas, brown eggs for 600 Pesetas, and golden eggs for 3,000 Pesetas.
- Quick money or more health
- If you mix a Green, Red, and Yellow Herb, you can sell it for a lot of money, or use it to restore health and increase the maximum health. Use it when you are low on health so that you do not waste the health recovery from it.
- Open doors quicker
- Tap X(2) when the "Open" action appears to kick open or down some doors instead of nudging them by hand. This will give you an advantage, as any enemies behind the door will be sent flying back.
- Opening locks
- There are many locks on doors. Instead of shooting the locks and wasting ammunition, pull out your knife and cut it off. The same can be done for boxes.
- Aim faster
- Use the D-pad and Analog-stick together to aim faster than normal.
- Avoid damage from traps
- To avoid getting hurt by traps such as explosives and bear traps, use your laser sight and shoot at the explosive or the middle of the trap.
- Finding items
- To find items, smash all of the crates with either your knife or a gun.
- More items
- When running around different areas of the village, you will see crows. Pick them off from a distance as to not scare the others away. They usually drop Pesetas. Note: If you scare some away, just re-enter the area to reset their position.
- Selling items
- If you plan to sell two or more herbs or other items that can be combined, combine them first and do not sell them separately. This will result in a small boost in the total selling price when compared to what it would have been if you sold them separately.
- Pearl Pendant
- Close to the start of the game there is a pendant with a value that will decrease by 9,000 Pesetas, if dropped in water. To keep it as the Pearl Pendant instead of the Brass Pocketwatch, shoot the block that is holding the well open, then shoot the pendant down to pick it up off the top of the well cover. It will sell for 10,000 Pesetas.
- Valuable jewels
- When around the village stage, some trees will have bird nests. Shoot them down to get valuable jewels to sell to the merchant.
- Crown Jewels
- Kill Salazar's "right hand" that you need to use the liquid nitrogen tanks on to receive the "Crown Jewels". which fit into the "Crown" treasure item. This is difficult; try using the Chicago Typewriter.
- Sell the rocket launcher (special) to the merchant
- Note: This trick involves the infinite rocket launcher (successfully complete the game; costs 1 million Pesetas). When you fight Saddler and Ada throws you the rocket launcher (special), take it, but do not use it. When you can get a clear shot to his main eye, use the regular unlimited launcher. Saddler will be killed and the rocket launcher (special) will be yours to keep. When you start a new game, you can sell it to the merchant.
- Surviving the raid at the farmhouse
- An intermission sequence will start when you are escorting Ashley across a bridge. A large crowd shows up and you will run into a farmhouse. After the sequence ends and you are inside the house with Lou, push the bookcases in front of the windows and go to the bottom of the staircase. Using the shotgun is recommended, but the pistol works fine. Once they are able to gain entrance to the house, aim high and fire until they are all knocked down. Then, reload and repeat until Lou tells you to head up stairs. When you do this, go over to the windows and knock down the ladders. After that is done, go to the edge of the stairs and kill everyone that is coming up Grenades work the best for this. After they are taken care of, rush back to the windows and knock down the ladders once again. Repeat this until the sequence plays when they retreat.
Once in the farmhouse, collect all the items while pushing the shelves against the windows. Stand in the corner by the stairs with Luis and fire until he tells you to go upstairs. Once up, stand in northwest corner (when facing down the stairs), and concentrate on firing in the direction of the stairs and pushing down the two ladders in that corner so that you do not become surrounded.
Because the raid continues until you kill a certain number, block two windows and shoot out the third until the enemies break in. Then, block the third window and deal with the other two. This allows you to get several kills in before it starts getting hectic.
- Two routes
- Soon after the farmhouse, look around to collect some ammunition and buy more items. After that, go to an opening where you see a lever. Go up to it and switch it to the right to fight El Gigante (recommended) or switch it to the left to face more chainsaw wielding villagers (extremely difficult). If you select to fight El Gigante, aim at the rock at the top ledge until he is underneath it and fire. Use the same tactic on the one you dealt with earlier.
- Easy kills
- After you kill the hatchet guy as soon as you start the game, go upstairs to the window. Do not jump out. Instead, take out your pistol and shoot the glass out. Then, carefully aim for the villagers' heads that are awaiting outside. There are three of them. If you kill all three, you can jump out and avoid any damage.
- Killing large crowds with TMP
- Shoot out the legs of everyone, then unload on their heads while they are lying on their faces.
- Killing birds
- Throw a flash grenade in the middle of a group of birds. All of them will die instantly, leaving lots of gold. This also works with the Granadas when their heads are transformed.
- Killing snakes
- If you see a snake after smashing boxes, kill it. You will get a chicken egg for health. Note: If you do not kill the snake it will bite you and take health away.
- Killing the merchant
- You can kill the merchant at any time in the game. On the normal difficulty setting, he just dies then comes back at the next place, or sometimes when you leave the room and come back in. However, on the professional difficulty setting, once he dies, he remains dead.
- Golden egg
- At the beginning of the game, if you leave a hen alone in Pueblo they should lay at least one golden egg (which fully restores health when used). Go to the weapon/health screen and select the egg. It should allow you to equip the egg. At the screen, Leon will throw the egg up and down, looking smug. Additionally, the golden egg is the best healing item, as it fully heals you and only takes one space in your case.
- Throw eggs at Ashley
- Collect some eggs, equip them, and throw them at Ashley. They will not harm her and it is funny. Aim from a distance to get used to them. They are lighter than a grenade and fly far when thrown. Note: She will duck when in close proximity.
- Annoy Ashley
- When Ashley is on a cliff or still up a ladder, you can aim your gun up at her. She will grab her skirt and call you a pervert.
- Look up Ashley's skirt without her stopping you
- Normally, if you jump down a ladder and try to look up Ashley's skirt, she will grab it and call you a pervert. However, there is a location where she does not do this. In Chapter 2-3, go to the lifts, after going down one of the paths. Climb onto one and go all the way down to the other side, shooting the Gonadas coming up on other lifts and the ones on the platforms. Once you get all the way down, go down the stairs nearby. Go to the cave that is here that has window-like holes. Be careful, as there are two dynamite wielding Gonadas at the entrance. Kill them then jump over the wall and go up the ladder. Kill the Gonada. Jump down, but leave Ashely up there. Try looking up her skirt with a sniper. She will not grab her skirt and call you a pervert because she is too high up. Note: There are more ladders where you can do this. Find one with a large drop and it should work. For example, if you have already gotten past Chapter 2-3, you can do this trick on the ladder you go down just after defeat Saddler in the final chapter.
After you defeat Ramon Salazar, walk further and there will be an intermission sequence where Ada will ask Leon if he needs a ride, and he accepts. When Ada brings him to the island, she will hook a rope onto the top of a cliff and say" I have some business to take care of". While she is saying that, look at her skirt (especially when she goes to jump up). You can also see more of Ashley than usual when you jump out the window of the church and when you get on the jet ski.
- Easy money in castle
- Look behind every painting of Saddler to find 5,000 Pesetas.
- Broken Butterfly in castle
- When you are in the area where you are just about see the intermission sequence with Luis dying, there will be a door that lets you know that you will need another person for it. After you get Ashley back, return to this door. Give Ashley a piggyback and she will open the door. Inside will be a lot of treasure, and the powerful Broken Butterfly. You do not have to buy it from the merchant or sell it for money. Additionally, the strongest Magnum is not the Killer 7. When you tune up and buy the exclusive option of the Broken Butterfly its power will increase to 50.0, far stronger than the Killer 7's 35.0. You can kill a Boss in four shots.
- Getting the Green Catseye in the church
- In Chapter 1-3 in the church, turn right. Go to the small path at the back of the church. You will see a blinking object. Get near it, then press X to check. After that, first rotate seven times using option 3, another five times using option 4, then one more time with option 3. You will hear a sound and can now get the Green Catseye.
- Infinite villagers in the church
- When you first get to the church, defeat everyone in the area. Then, return to the church and shoot the bell above. Villagers will arrive in a groups of three to six Gonados. You can continue this process as much as desired.
- Black Bass recovery in sewer
- You can kill the fish and use them as recovery items in the sewer area shortly after the beginning of Chapter 1-2. It is a little after the place where you face the two enemies who throw dynamite at you.
- Chapter 2-1 puzzle
- Before the end of the chapter, there is a puzzle in the church. The puzzle is a simple mix of colors. Three different designs surround the main design. The colors are red, green, and blue. When you enter the church, turn to the left and go down the little hall. Climb the ladder. When you are up there, you will see that the way to the door is barred. You must get to the other side of the church by jumping on and off of the chandelier. On the other side, there is a set of switches. When you activate it, the puzzle starts. The goal is to turn the designs so when combined, they are the same as the middle design. Turn red twice, green three times, and blue once. When combined, it should create the design. Then, go in and grab Ashley.
- Chapter 3-4 puzzle
- The quickest way to complete the puzzle when playing as Ashley in Chapter 3-4 is as follows. The layout of the puzzle's squares is referred as:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
Press X on the following in this order: 4, 7, 8, 9, 6, 3, 1, 7, 9.
- Interesting death sequences
- Note: Save your game before each encounter when trying to see the following death scenes:
Betrayal: When you are in the cabin surrounded by Ganados, shoot Luis Sera about five to eight times. An intermission sequence will begin.
Chief Mendez: In the barn fight, do not evade his grab in the intermission sequence.
Del Lago (before fighting him): Stand on the dock by the lake where you fight the giant alligator (Del Lago). Fire your shotgun into the water several times. Eventually, Del Lago will come out and eat you.
Del Lago (when fighting him): After getting knocked out of the boat, swim back until you are just in reach of the boat. Del Lago will appear from underneath. Additionally, after killing Del Lago, do not cut the rope.
Giant insects: Let them vomit on you.
"It": "It" has three ways of killing Leon. The first is when he is on the roof. He will grab Leon and snap his neck. Another is when he has the scissors tail. He will grab Leon by the legs and cut him in half. The finwl way happens after the three cages fall and the final fight on the cliff side begins. Shoot him until he goes underground. Allow him to kill you when he pops from under you.
Knife fight: At the end, let him press the knife through the cavity.
Molotov cocktails: In the beginning of the game, go up the ladder into the tower and wait for the villagers to burn you alive.
Prison Boss: Have low life and let him kill you with the first hit of his charge. He should impale you twice.
Regenerators: Both normal and spiked varieties have their own style of killing Leon.
Two Los Gigantes: In the magma floor/pool, activate the switch and stand next to the pool.
Trap door floor: Let Leon fall through the trap door that Salazar actives.
Wolves: When they jump on you, they will ravage your face. Once Leon is killed, look at their teeth.
- Leon shows off
- Wear Leon's gangster costume and have the Chicago Typewriter as a weapon. Hold R1 and press Square. Leon will take off his hat, re-adjust it, then put it back in place. Repeat this until he throws his hat in the air, catches it, then strikes a pose.
- Leon struggles
- When using Ashley's knight costume and Leon's gangster costume, watch Leon as he tries to catch Ashley whenever you need her to come down from a raised platform or ladder. He will fall on the ground with one knee, and as he comes up from the ground, he will grab his back in pain.
- Leon's X-ray vision
- After you unlock Leon's special costume, complete Chapter 1-3. In the intermission sequence after the game prompts you to save, Leon will have a strange dream that the egg hatched and is taking over his body. One part shows it taking over his arm, but the secondary costume prevents Leon from looking at his skin. Leon still acts as though he can see it, and the intermission sequence plays through normally after that.
- P.N. 03 reference
- In the Mercenaries mini-game, play as John Krauser or Hunk. Notice that both of the character's theme songs are from P.N. 03 levels.
- Saddler comment
- Listen closely when you kill the villagers. Some of them will say "Lord Saddler" as they reach out just before they die. Note: This may only happen after completion of the game.
- Defeating the armored opponents
- Try not to get surrounded by them. Make sure they are in a group. Take out whatever rifle you have and shoot them all in the head until the snake thing appears. Wait until they are all like, then throw a flash grenade to kill all of them at once. This works well on all of them, and saves ammunition.
- Bypass chainsaw man encounters
- When you enter the town, kill everyone. When the second wave of people arrives, also kill all of them. You can then go into the house and they will not come out. Additionally, during the mine cart section of Chapter 4-2, the mine car will stop and lots of enemies and two chainsaw men will load into the stopped cars. To avoid most of this encounter, be in the front car and immediately shoot the switch. The cars will start moving, and you will have only have about four enemies to kill.
- Defeating chainsaw men
- When you meet a man with the chainsaw, shoot him with the shotgun and incendiary grenades. You can also use your handgun, but you will probably get killed. Note: The shotgun is found in the building that is diagonal from the tower.
- Defeating Del Lago (lake monster)
- When you start, Del Lago is towing you and heading toward the pieces of land in the middle. Steer to avoid them and harpoon him as soon as you can afterwards (before it lets go). Next, aim a harpoon and throw it at any sign of movement so that you will not be knocked off the boat. After awhile it will go away, then charge at the boat. Throw as many harpoons at it as possible before it reaches the boat. If you get knocked out, press X until you get back in. Repeat this process until the intermission sequence starts and Del Lago retreats.
- Defeating dogs
- The zombie dogs are brown colored. You will find one in the beginning. The zombie dogs will not attack you until you meet Chief Mendez. The dogs will have parasites sticking out of them after chapter 3. A shotgun will kill them easily. Note: Do not kill the white dog in the trap. It will help you fight the Gigante.
- Defeating El Gigante
- Either weapon works; feel free to experiment. When the battle starts, check out the shacks and get all of the items that you can. When he gets close, run between his legs, get behind him, then open fire. When he is approaching you, use the shotgun and keep shooting him in the head while avoiding his attacks. When he roars and starts moving around, something will pop out of his back. Before it kneels on the ground, get in close until the action command that reads "Climb" appears. Use it to get on his back. The screen will indicate which button to use to slash. Press that button as fast as possible until you get off. Repeat the process one to three more times to defeat him. Additionally, when facing the El Gigante, buy a rocket launcher; it will kill him in one hit instead of wasting your other ammunition.
You will have to fight four El Gigantes (the big monster that breaks through the door and picks up and crushes Leon). You will fight one by yourself, one with the girl, and two at the same time by yourself. The quickest way to kill them is to buy a rocket launcher immediately before the fight so that you do not take waste space in you inventory. Throw a flash grenade to stun him, then run around behind and shoot him in the back. You will kill him in one hit. The same can also be done on most of the Bosses. If this does not kill them, it will do a lot of damage.
To win easily against the two El Gigantes in Chapter 4-2, go up the ladder and go down the rope on the other side of the room to activate the mechanism. It will open the circle in the middle of the room and take an El Gigante into the lava. Do not try it a second time; the mechanism will not work again. Just use the rocket launcher to finish the remaining El Gigante.
- Avoid fighting El Gigante the second time
- After you survive the raid, you must choose a path to open; left or right. Open the right gate and it will take you to El Gigante. Use the shotgun and make the boulder drop down on his head when he arrives. Then, turn around and kick the door six times to knock the chains off it. If you are still standing outside the door when you see Gigante approach you from behind, do not panic; just get out of there quickly. He does not attack for a few seconds after he comes up behind you. The knife or a gunshot may help destroy the chains quicker, but kicking works. Go through another door in the same fashion and somewhere along the way you should find a key. It may be in one of the last huts you see toward the center. If you are quick enough, you can escape El Gigante and make it through the door alive with Ashley.
- Defeating enemies on bridges
- If you are on a bridge and there are open areas, take out a weak gun. One shot will make them fall off the bridge. However, you will not get any items from them.
- Defeating the Enemy Regenerator and Iron Maiden
- You do not need a special scope to kill them. Buy the Killer 7 Magnum and use it on them. After three or four shots, they will go down. Shoot it in the sheet until there is a hole. Then, shoot its head. After that, the body will explode then the legs will fall over and leave 5,000 gold. Additionally, another way to kill the Regenerator creatures is to shoot their head or chest with the shotgun. Then, blast a leg away; it will fall on the ground. Then, take out an incinerator grenade (the red ones) and throw it at them. If done correctly, he will burn on the ground and die.
- Defeating flying insects
- If you are able to hit the flying insect enemies in the cave area while they are airborne, they will die in just one hit. Any weapon works, though the shotgun is recommended. This will help conserve your ammunition. If they manage to land, you will use about three to four shogun rounds from a Stock Striker (firepower 6.0).
- Defeating Gothic Illuminados
- When you are in the castle and you fire at the Gothic Illuminados, it is best to fire at their knees. They will fall on them and allow you to use a suplex move instead of a kick. You will then throw them over your head and smash their head in the ground. Note: In mercenary mode, the same goes for the rest of the mercenaries.